Monday, September 26, 2011

Are the young bands of today making any good music?

Not as far as I can tell. Having spent two months on the warped tour two summers ago and after looking at all the scenster kids on this tour, I think it's safe to say that the kids have blown it. Every band sounds exactly the same. Not kind of the same, but exactly the same. They also look exactly the same. Now here's my point. At Woodstock, did all the bands sound the same? I don't think so. Even the warped tour of ten years ago had some diversity. I know that lots of the musicians in these bands are good, they can play for sure. The last thing they need is drum lessons or guitar lessons, but are they going to leave any kind of lasting impression on music history? Why would you start a band and try to look exactly the same and sound exactly like 50 other bands? Is this a by product of the digital revolution that has helped so many bands get there music out there? I also remember being aware of the history of bands and music as I was simultaneously appreciating new bands that were coming out. I don't think the kids of today, or at least the fans of these bands, have any clue about the music of previous generations. Why are they such tool bags when it comes to this? We have students at the Music Factory that come in wearing a Doors t shirt etc so I know there are some younger kids that have an understanding and appreciation for music, but they must be the major minority. come on kids, get it together before we lose all faith in you...

No comments:

Post a Comment